Dental Implant Surgery
What to do before and after dental implant surgery
Our Encino dentist understands that dental implant surgery can make some patients very nervous. However, we invite you to relax and sit back while we make the experience the most pleasant dental visit you’ve had to date! We’ve developed these tips to keep in mind for before and after the dental implant surgery to make the appointment run even more smoothly.
Before dental implant surgery
- Bring a friend or relative: You won’t be able to drive immediately following the implant surgery so we recommend scheduling the procedure on a date that you are able to have someone accompany you.
- Clear your schedule for the rest of the day: Many of our patients fell great following the procedure. However, we do recommend taking the day off as a precautionary measure. You will also benefit from the extra rest.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing: We recommend wearing a button-down shirt if possible to avoid having to pull anything over your head.
- Follow any recommendations given to you by our dentist: This usually includes not eating or drinking anything 8 to 12 hours prior to the dental implant surgery. You should also follow any specific recommendations related to your case.
After dental implant surgery
- It’s possible that you will experience some bleeding following the implant surgery. Bite down on some gauze to help stop the bleeding.
- Take any medication prescribed to you. Our Encino dentist may prescribe antibiotics or pain medication. Be sure to complete the treatment.
- Maintain a soft diet. For the first 24 to 48 hours following the implant surgery, stick to soft, cold foods like ice cream, milk shakes, etc.
- Practice excellent oral hygiene. It’s important to maintain your mouth as clean as possible. Brushing can resume the same day as the implant surgery
If you have any comment or concerns regarding your implant surgery or are interesting in getting dental implants, contact our Encino dental office today for a consultation.