How Can I Take Care of My Teeth as I Age?
It’s important to take care of your teeth because the bottom line is that we only get one set that needs to last us a lifetime. Preventative measures should be take at all stages of life by practicing and maintaining healthy oral care habits.
What you can do to maintain your oral health as you age:
- Use fluoridated water, use fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride provides protection against dental decay at all ages.
- Practice good oral hygiene both brush and floss.
- See dentist on a regular basis even if you have no natural teeth. This provides for early detection of pre-cancerous lesions.
- Avoid tobacco. Smoker's have 7x risk of developing gum disease, oral and throat cancers and oral fungal infections.
- Limit alcohol. This is a risk factor for oral and throat cancers.
- If medications produce a dry mouth, ask your Dr. if there are other meds that can be substituted. If dry mouth cannot be avoided drink plenty of water and chew sugarless gum.
Please contact us for more information or if you are due for a routine visit, call (818) 783-0408. There is no better way to care for your teeth than to visit us regularly!
Back to Articles