The Temporomandibular Joint, which is also known as TMJ, can be described as the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull and helps complete any required movement where the jaw needs to open. The TMJ Disorders or TMD, involve problems with this joint, jaw or facial muscles. TMJ disorders are common throughout the US, considering that over 10 million Americans currently suffer from TMJ disorders. Our Encino dentist has the experience necessary to accurately diagnose the TMJ disorder and help treat it effectively.
How can I know if I have a TMJ disorder?
You may experience any of the following symptoms when suffering from a TMJ disorder:
- Pain and tenderness in areas surrounding the TMJ
- Limited mouth movement
- Clicking of jaw joint
- Fatigue in jaw joint and face area
What can I do to avoid getting a TMJ disorder?
- Night guards can be used to avoid grinding and clenching of the teeth which puts pressure on the TMJ.
- Limit stress, seek therapy or find ways to channel stress elsewhere like going to a gym or through other physical activity.
- Take calcium supplements. Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis are known to cause TMJ.
Visit our Encino dentist for a comprehensive exam and full evaluation as to whether or not you have a TMJ disorder. If diagnosed, we have treatment options that will help alleviate all associated TMJ pain so that you can return to enjoying a pain-free lifestyle. Call our dentist office today (818) 783-0408!